Suppporter
LDSA Premium
Activity

0%

Real Name
Rene Kunert
Gifts?
Legend of Zelda.
I had a high school art teacher say that "once you turn professional, you don't have to write anymore."

I am honestly not sure if I can call myself professional or not, but let me tell you... the writing part of the "job" has increased 10fold since high school. If ever I get to the "professional" status, I expect even more writing. That is, unless I can hire a PR person... I don't see that happening haha! Otherwise, how do you get known as an artist? Sure, you could let the art speak for itself, but come on... that really only works for someone with a name already, especially now with so many different artists out there, or art that is so great it leaves people in awe. With as much art out there, it is really hard to make people really notice.

Granted, we don't have to answer some of the really dumb questions that we used to back then (in official writing at least), but to say that the writing stops makes me wonder if this person is/was actually a professional, or if this person had any actual perspective on the professional art world. It seems that high school isn't actually meant for people to understand how the real world works. Don't get me wrong, I am all for someone finishing school and carrying on to higher education, but the system seems a bit rigged in favor of... (and I hate this word...) "sheep."
Or who knows, maybe she was referring to the "modern art" movement. We all know the white line on blue canvas... I don't think a whole lot of writing occurred in that instance LOL!

Maybe she meant like essays? Of course we don't have to write essays... unless we are going for being a teacher of the arts or something. Not many people, outside of being a student, have to write essays and term papers. But good lawd, don't make your students think writing stops once school is over! Ugh!

That is an odd thing to tell anyone, let alone a student. What would be the point of striving for good grades if your teachers tell you it would be useless? It sounds like you need to report that teacher.

I have not heard that, and did not think that art would including writing, unless you are using lettering in art. I used words in diagrams I used to do when I worked in the drawing office. And some wordart in my work, I also know of people that add poems and quotes to their artwork.

Getting known is not that easy, and I would not consider myself as professional even though I sell scrapkits, and own a store, as yet I have only sold one piece of art. (I have sold many scrapkits, but would not consider that art). I have also in the past exhibited my early digital art work hanging in local libraries but there were also more professional artists selling their paintings, and my digital art was in its infancy back then!! More recently one of the webinars I have attended was with a couple of photographers who were both well known, and one of them has grown his business globally by doing large canvas with his photos on selling in big galleries etc. He had developed a technique for selling on a grand scale,...and he was selling courses with his own personal help for you to reach the same level, however the cost of his courses started at $500 which was out of my reach and if I was not able to put all that into practice it would be a waste of money for me. (I know from some free photographic webinars I have watched regarding photo technics I was unable to do that because these people were professional and could afford Studios, high end cameras and lighting equipment, so my photography would not be on the same level, as I could not afford that. So I did not want to lay out money I could not afford for a course I may not have the funds for. Ie the sizes of the canvas's and the printing on canvas that size is way out of my league.
For me its more about getting more people see your work, being in more art groups and posting your work in as many places as you can, and also selling on places like Etsy, also helps get your work noticed.

Back
Top Bottom