Player
Suppporter
LDSA Premium
Town Favorite Previous Member of the Month Extremely Likeable
Activity

0%

Real Name
Lisa
Just wanted to say hello! Anything exciting going on with anyone?

After a busy couple of months, things are less stressful now. This week I have been catching up on jobs that needed to be done.
Have a funny story for you, bear in mind we have worked with computers for many years.....
Earlier in the week, I wanted to increase the size of my "C" Drive on my main computer. I bought a 2TB SSD drive to replace a 1Tb drive, and we have a cloning gadget to copy one drive to another.
I had initially thought the original drive was SSD, so I bought a replacement SSD, but when we looked inside the computer we could only find an IDE Hard Drive, so hubby took that out, and I had previously bought a new 2TB IDE Drive, so we set the clone device to copy the hard drive to the spare drive.
When it was done and we put the original drive back, my husband wanted to check the drive information in the control panel as we were uncertain whether the "C" drive could possibly be partitioned.
To our surprise, we discovered that we had backed up the data drive, and not the "C" Drive, however, we checked inside the computer and could not find another drive, there was no SSD or a 2nd Hard Drive, we were scratching our heads!! The "C" drive was partitioned with the operating system/programs and a small partition for o/s recovery, so where was the physical "C" Drive? We could only see one drive inside the PC??
Hubby did a bit of research on the computer and we found that the "C" drive was the size of a pen drive, and we looked again in the computer, and eventually realised that the drive was fixed to the bottom of the computer casing with a heat sink on top of it!! (it was the same size and shape of a pen drive!). There was no way to get that out or clone that as the cloning machine only does SSD & IDE Drives!
At least I have a backup of my Data Drive, but not sure what we are going to do about the "C" Drive!! I have a lot of my graphic programs installed on the "C" Drive.

Because it's so small can you use it as the partition and still install the other drive? I know it would be a pain but you could still copy and paste everything over to the new drive to back everything up.

Last edited:
Whilst it is easy to copy files across, it is not the same with installed programs, as the program is installed in a number of places. It would mean reinstalling all the programs I have. Which also, means re-registering with the companies, and some could be a problem re-registering the program. I have a lot of programs installed on my PC, so am a bit worried that I may not be able to re-register some of the programs. Some were bought as special deals and the old versions may be superseded with new versions, and that may mean buying the newer versions.
The area that is partitioned is too small and has a O/S recovery file there.
Not sure yet how we are going to resolve this one, other than me going through all my programs, and checking that I have the original download file, as most are digital downloads. Plus would need the registration key and hope that it would let me reinstall at a later date.

Back
Top Bottom