Suppporter
LDSA Premium
Activity

0%

Real Name
Rene Kunert
Gifts?
Legend of Zelda.
So, I was recently asked if I would sell a top I made. Of course, I was willing. However, the person was only willing to spend $20…

That doesn’t even cover material cost.

If you have come across this in your creative journey, you stick to your worth! What other people can afford should not dictate your value.

Just as an example. This is the suggested price for the top I made. (I do keep track often).

36CD57FC-6E72-4625-A21F-E45052BAAB70.png

This is even charging less than minimum wage. I refuse to sink lower than this for strangers online. Now, don’t get me wrong! I definitely make gifts for people. And absolutely for people I know.

But let this assure you that if you receive a handmade gift from someone, make sure you appreciate it :wink:

And again, do not undervalue yourself.

I agree it is surprising and I love your work too

My mother had made mine and my sisters matching clothes when I was young. She made jumpers and cardigans as an adult. I cannot part with the jumpers and cardigans, they will remain with me as they were made with love. I really wish I had those little dresses she made me growing up. I have memories of them.

In my last year at school I made an art piece for my Art and English Oral Exam. It was made from Fibre glass and painted card for the shapes of the peacock. I used to work part time after school for small company and the wife of the man I worked with saw my artwork as I arrived straight from school she loved it and wanted to buy it....I did not know what it was worth so she offered me about £20 and I accepted. if I had taken it home it may have just gathered dust and eventually thrown out, so I am glad it got a happy home.

Another time it was my daughters 2nd birthday and I saw a cake I liked in a magazine it was in the shape of a rag doll. I had an aunt and a cousin that loved to bake and asked them to make one......I had no clue how much the ingredients would cost. I offered £20 and was surprised when she said it would cost nearer to £50 Prior to that I had only ever bought birthday cakes from stores at £5-10!!

I think it’s the fact that people can go get things from a department store much cheaper, so they don’t realize the worth of a custom piece.

I do admit, I used to sell drawings for 5 bucks (as commissions). Then I realized what I was doing to myself lol

Back
Top Bottom