stuART

Tagger
Suppporter
Town Favorite Getting Popular Congratulations
Activity

0%

Real Name
Stuart
Well as you all know I’m so new to this art world , and even though I don’t think I’m that good I love it . For those that don’t know me I’m a VERY impatient person . I like perfection in my drawing straight up . But a lovely lady @Rene has believed in me from day 1 , she listens to all my questions and I’m sure most are stupid questions , I’m sure she repeats herself time and time again . She has been patient with me and where I want art to take me . So this is what I did .
I enrolled in 2 online courses
1 is a comic drawing course which I think it was the first one I found , but may find useful down the track .
the other is basically everything I wanted to learn regarding art . I am very pleased with this one . Let me tell you why lol
1 it has shown me and taught me about shapes , lines , constructing drawing . And even gives you exercises .
2. It has shown me a lot about shading I have learnt so much already and this is what I needed.

There is one part of the course I am not happy about, and I do realise that it’s part of the course and to do the exercises . And that’s transfer drawing on to good paper . Let me go into this about more.
it’s basically taking a drawing and tracing onto a good sketching paper , now if it’s your art it’s ok
but I don’t like that we are teaching people how to do this . I believe everyone knows how to trace we learnt as kids . I just don’t think they should teach how the process is ,i don’t want people to think it’s ok to trace other people work , even though there was no mention in the course that to make sure it your drawing that we trace , to me it’s like we are giving people the tools to trace ( RANT OVER)
again I do realise it’s for the course expertises .

but at the end of it I am enjoying the course .

thank you for listening this broadcast is over

Well, to be fair, there is a theory that a lot of the “old masters” used various methods of tracing. Some used mirrors, others used glass reflections. There is a whole thing about tracing. Of course, there are also arguments against it, but some real digging can definitely open some eyes :wink:

As long as you aren’t tracing another person’s art, then there is no cheating. Tracing has been taught through the ages, because not everyone can get proportions right, and that’s ok.

I used to be on the side of “omg tracing isn’t art!!!!!” … but after doing some studying and priding through history, it’s not bad. A lot of people who want to get photorealusm down use tracing, whether it’s from a projector or the “grid method.”

A LOT of artists learn to do it from sight and memory, but then will go back to “shortcuts,” and really, there’s nothing wrong with that. Not every artist goes about it in the same way.

There’s no such thing as cheating with art, as long as it actually is your art.

Art is art, no matter the journey :wink:

Love to see your Artwork Stu
Interesting so if someone were to trace the outline of a "model" and then do all the rest of the work themselves, including facial features, hair and colouring would that be acceptable use of tracing?
(Making it your design and not identical to the original artwork)

Last edited:
As long as the photographer allows the photo to be used for reference.

There are actually quite a few videos on YouTube about how to use a reference that way. But, I will suggest staying out of the comment section of those videos lol!

ah did not know you would need permission to use it as a reference
ty :smile:

There is “fanart” that is in a gray area… but you really need to know the copyright law on that. Mass production (prints) is usually a no-no.

I have gone through so many musicians :lol: Most let me draw them, but I can’t do prints. Well, except the guys from Sepultura, a tour drummer from Korn, and the singer from Socionic. I took the photos of most of them. The best deal about going to shows :bigsmile:

Edited to add…

I am not a fan of digital “paint-over” images and photographs with a filter added to make it look drawn. That stuff may work in a photo manipulation environment, but it certainly doesn’t fit on a traditional art forum. That kind of “tracing” doesn’t fit here lol.

Last edited:
It is not something I am likely to do. I just like to ask too many questions, so that when I come across something like that, I know the answers already! lol

My daughters future Mother In Law teaches painting, she's does some lovely artwork. My daughter has some hanging in her house. She is encouraging my daughter to continue drawing and learn to paint too.

That is really awesome @stuART! I can't wait to see your results from taking the classes.

Back
Top Bottom