Just random chatter here! Just post whatever you think doesn’t need it’s own thread started.

That gave me a headache.

Yesterday was not great!! We had to go to my daughters wedding tasting, but the journey by car is over 100 miles away and I am do not deal well with car travel. I prefer train, but that is getting more and more expensive, and the place you need to get to is no where near a train station! I am confident in my husbands ability to drive these long journeys, but as time has gone on my anxiety for long journeys has got worse. We drove up in daylight and whilst the traffic was fairly busy I managed to cope with my anxiety reasonably well for most of the journey but it started to get worse the nearer we got to the town near the venue, but the place was the other side of town. I felt much happier once we found the place and parked up. We arrived at 4.30pm, and other family members arrived after us. The evening itself was good, and we stayed for an evening meal after the tasting.
We left just before 8pm, it was very dark at that time and the roads we travelled on had no street lighting. We started our long journey back, however, the journey for me was really bad, as it was dark, my eyesight is getting worse, and I did not have my driving glasses, (I was a passenger), to me the cars travelling in front of us were blurry. It is a fast road with 2-3 lanes just like our motorways. We were traveling at the maximum allowed speed changing lanes when we needed too, and passing lorries (trucks) which makes me nervous. I felt a bit like I was on a roller coaster, with strange glasses on.....it was very stressful for me, I could feel the anxiety getting worse, my heart feeling tight and being a long journey I just wanted this roller coaster to stop so I could get off and calm down! I did breathing exercises to help, but the stress was overwhelming. As we got nearer to home after an hour of the nightmare journey I asked hubby if we could get off this road and go around the back streets, as they are well light and we are not travelling as fast or changing lanes on the back streets, he agreed, and I was able to start calming down, and the stress reducing as we continued our journey home. It's the worst journey I have ever been on.....and I have been on many other long journeys over the years. The daytime being manageable for the most part. On previous long journeys we have mostly set off home at 10am so by the time we get home it has still been light! The last time we went away to York I convinced hubby to go by train and even though there were some annoying people not wearing masks on the way back, It did not affect my anxiety! I was so much happier travelling by train, it's so frustrating that the cost of doing so is far too expensive for long journeys.
Does anyone else get anxious travelling? Train, plane, boat or car?
Apologies for long story!!

• Empathy
Reactions: Ali
I get anxious when night driving. I have night blindness, so I refuse to drive at night, these days, but even as a passenger, it’s rough. We drove from Arkansas to Georgia recently. That was quite an experience lol. 2 years ago, we drove from Los Angeles to Arkansas. I told Sven that we fly in next time 😂

Glad I am not the only one, :hug: I don't think I can do any more longer journeys. I am just finding harder and harder each time we do another journey. Mine is also night blindness, and my eyesight is progressively getting worse, so not sure how much longer I have to enjoy my digital art hobby! :sad:

Because my daughter has chosen her wedding venue, in this town, we have had to go up there about 5 times so far with various wedding related events. There will be another in April, and the wedding is in August. so hopefully I will not have to do that again after that. Hubbies sister lives in Yorkshire and last time hubby went to visit for a few days. I did not want to go, as it is further than yesterdays trip, so I was happy to stay at home, I just hated the evenings on my own.

Last edited:
I'm getting moving jitters already! We have packed up a bunch of stuff already, and the moving company came to look at everything. It's finally becoming real LOL!

I'm getting moving jitters already! We have packed up a bunch of stuff already, and the moving company came to look at everything. It's finally becoming real LOL!
Am i incorrect but are you not moving until August

We have to have everything finished and ready to leave by mid-June. Then, it will travel for a couple of months, while we are on vacation. Hopefully we will meet all of our stuff when we get there in August.

Our moving days are complicated lol

Oh that most be hard to cope @Rene without all your stuff for that long?
Sorry the long journeys are hard for you @Alicat ☹️

Oh that most be hard to cope @Rene without all your stuff for that long?
Sorry the long journeys are hard for you @Alicat ☹️
Thank you Michelle <hugs>
I was speaking to my sisters recently and they both suggested something to help. One said listening to mediation tapes, or music. The other suggested stroking a soft furry toy/cushion. like stroking a cat. I will certainly try these

I've been a bit down the past couple of weeks. I am not real sure why, honestly. I haven't really had the motivation to do much anything I usually like to do. I am boiling it down to being a bit overwhelmed by the impending move. Don't get me wrong! I totally want to get out of this place. I am always a bit on edge right when we leave somewhere. I love seeing the world, and moving to the various places, but the actual move is... terrifying lol.

I agree it is a big upheaval not being settled in one place and not knowing what it is going to be like when you get there. <hugs> I have moved about 6 times in my lifetime, and this place I have stayed in longest so far. Not all moves have been great choices and I miss the family home I had with my parents, loved that place. If I could have afforded to purchase it, I would have gladly done so. This house is one of the better moves too, but as both my kids have moved out and their bedrooms still have most of their furniture and possessions in them!! My daughter moved to a small one bedroom place and does not have the room for all her things, but after the wedding they will be looking for a bigger place and hopefully she will take all her stuff and we can have the room back. My son moved out when he was 18! And his room is still full of his stuff, he made a start to sort the room, but never completed it!! It would help us to have these rooms back!!

I’ve not lived in one place for longer than 4 years. Even when I was younger, we moved around a lot.

I’d like to have a place for our permanent home, so we can move all of our things in, and just move around lightly. It would make the travel easier, too.

I can imagine you’d like to have your whole house back!

Yes, we would love to have the whole house back and cant wait for my daughter to get a bigger house. She cant wait to get a bigger house as their place is far too small, but it was all they could afford at the time. Then I will pester my son to clear his room too! lol

• Empathy
Reactions: Ali
Whew, it's been a hectic couple of weeks here. Last week I had to leave work to take my step-dad to the ER after a cow ran over him. Yep, you read that right. He was helping a friend give his cows shots and the last one turned around, looked him in the eye, put her head down and charged. Ended up just bruises and muscles but hours in the ER. I'm glad he is ok. Then this week I had to leave work to take my daughter and grandson to the doctor. Little guy has an ear infection that ruptured his eardrum. Scared my daughter when she got up and green goo and blood was coming out of his ear. They also said he has a stomach bug and sinus issues to go along with it. He is just pitiful. I'm tired now.

When we traveled Australia we left some stuff in storage but didn't have a permanent home and I hated that. Next time we will keep this house but pack everything into the huge shed we had built out the back, and rent the house out. We intend to retire in this house but after we nhave done quite a few more years travelling. Hubby wants to start again when he retires in 7 years, I will semi retire and work 6 months every year at different towns as we go.

Back
Top Bottom