Suppporter
LDSA Premium
Activity

0%

Real Name
Rene Kunert
Gifts?
Legend of Zelda.
I know it is SERIOUSLY tempting to just google some images for you artwork.

However, remember, that you need express permission from a photographer to use their work. This means... Google Images is BAD. Just don't use it for taking references. You can, however, use it to look up photographers for asking permission, or looking up stock sites.

If you REALLY need some reference photos, save some of these sites into your bookmarks. They really will save you a lot of headaches in the future.

ALWAYS check out the terms of service with ANY stock photos you use. Sometimes, different photographers will have different terms. It is always your responsibility to know what you are using.

The search functions are really great for finding just the right theme for your artwork.

Thank you, @Alicat, for some enlightening information! Not all stock sites are created equal. There seems to be some discussions about various stock sites having user-uploaded images, some of which are completely unethical (stolen). So instead, be sure to check the stock sites’ reputation before using.

Here are some links to get you started.

I know art should be a fun getaway, but as artists, we also have a responsibility to keep our art legal. Always weigh the risks. Sound have, could have, would have... doesn't count.

When I’m doubt, there are a few photographers here on the forum. If you want something specific, one of us might be able to help you out :wink:

Last edited:
This is great information. Thank you!

I really like using the reverse image search for searching artworks that I think may not be legit. I am not a very trusting person. Too many times I have seen people trying to steal artworks.

I don't actually use any kind of references when I draw cards, though. I just let it flow out of my hand and let it do what it is going to do. But if I did start using references, I am pretty sure I would be using a reverse image search more than anything else.

Have been using google and Tineye for researching pinup tubes that have been stolen to check which artist has created them, as there are a number of artists doing similar tubes now. I have found that google is not as good as it once was, same with Tineye as they use different algorithms now and google search for "similar" shapes and colours, and it rarely finds the one I am looking for. Whereas in the past it would find them easily. :sad:
I have not heard of the other one you mentioned Rene so will try it ty.

With the sheer number of images on the internet, I can see how it would be difficult to find good matches. But I have been able to find those that have exact matches, at least. Some people don't even bother with changing the colors of stolen works. Other times, it takes a little more digging to find the origin. The internet just keeps growing, and the searches can't keep up with it anymore. The AI used in finding image matches needs some serious catching up.

Back
Top Bottom