204687275_10222208080569187_8145872342614267334_n.jpg205073430_10222208080649189_8139482780554670433_n.jpg

I saw these images on a popular social media and thought I'd have a closer look.

First, I went to find the original Tweet. Upon further inspection, I checked out whole twitter profile and saw some more clarifications. But... I don't want to rely on just a tweet, so let's go dig further.

I found this tidbit from a blog:

It’s unclear if Disney is trying to trademark the Norse mythology of Loki or if Redbubble was just being overly cautious in its enforcement of Disney’s guidance. However, it wouldn’t be the first time the entertainment company has tried to copyright something with public domain precedent. Disney previously attempted to copyright Dia de los Muertos ahead of its animated feature “Coco,” which prompted public outcry as the holiday has been celebrated in Mexico for hundreds of years.

Upon a bit of further digging:
redbubble-loki-strike.jpeg
Apparently, there have been takedown notices for items that don't even have anything to do with the movie franchise. So they are doing an automated targeting. on Redbubble and Etsy.

But what does that mean? Is Disney sending the DMCA takedowns, or are the companies just trying to save their own asses? Must. Dig. Further.

Newsweek mentioned also a DMCA takedown for a cosplayer.

So... what does this mean for artists?

Stay away from ANYTHING Disney related right now. They do have the money to drag out cases until the little guy is just broke and exhausted.

We can fight back. But it is going to take some very strong willed people with deep pockets. These copyright claims are getting a bit overwhelming, especially when the company does NOT own the IP... of gods...

That is reaching a bit far, in my opinion. Maybe Disney just wants to rule the world.

Yes agreed over the top , maybe @Jasper is copyright it is getting to closer to Casper 😳
i see the humour in that cause that’s what the world is coming to a load of bullshit .

I knew there was a reason I don't really care for Disney.

Back
Top Bottom